Focus on Legacy Enchantress
In continuing preparation for the SCG Invitational in Somerset, I'm looking at Enchantress for a bit.
The major builds I've seen are G/u/w and G/W/r Enchantress, and occasionally G/W/r/u. I think the G/W/r build is the most popular (sporting Blood Moon and Words of War).
Paul Lynch's G/W/r Enchantress:
4 Argothian Enchantress
7 Forest
2 Plains
2 Arid Mesa
1 Horizon Canopy
2 Savannah
1 Taiga
4 Windswept Heath
1 Karakas
2 Serra's Sanctum
1 Blood Moon
3 Elephant Grass
4 Enchantress's Presence
2 Mirri's Guile
1 Moat
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Runed Halo
1 Sigil of the Empty Throne
3 Solitary Confinement
4 Sterling Grove
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Wild Growth
1 Words of War
2 Green Sun's Zenith
2 Replenish
Sideboard
1 Aura of Silence
2 Carpet of Flowers
3 Choke
1 Ground Seal
1 Humility
1 Karmic Justice
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Nevermore
1 Stony Silence
This is very much a 'prison' deck. Legacy being the diverse format it is, has a TON of annoying enchantments. (See Blood Moon, Solitary Confinement or Elephant Grass). This deck very much relies on locking the opponent out with silver bullet enchantments, or going for a 'fast' kill with Words of War/Sigil of the Empty Throne. The engine that powers it all: 4 Argothian Enchantress and 4 Enchantress' Presence (as well as 2 Green Sun's Zenith to act as backup Argothians). I think this deck is extremely well-positioned at the moment, although the matchup versus Show and Tell variants is not very good, but I can't really imagine losing to any of the BG/x or stoneblade variants.
The lack of Enlightened Tutor (as a 1 or 2-of) is interesting, but Sterling Grove does provide the same effect, while also protecting your key pieces from Abrupt Decay and Maelstrom Pulse.
Cards to fear: Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Tendrils of Agony, Iona (on Green or White).
4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Cloud of Faeries
2 Eternal Witness
1 Dryad Arbor
7 Forest
2 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Savannah
2 Tropical Island
3 Verdant Catacombs
2 Carpet of Flowers
4 Elephant Grass
4 Enchantress's Presence
1 Seal of Primordium
4 Seal of Removal
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Wild Growth
2 Words of Wind
4 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Living Wish
Sideboard
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Verduran Enchantress
1 Carpet of Flowers
2 Chill
2 Seal of Primordium
1 Sphere of Safety
3 Force of Will
1 Krosan Grip
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Here's the last G/u/w list I've seen (courtesy of Chris Andersen). While this list might be a bit old, the deck doesn't have that much wiggle room. Basically, you are trying to get Words of Wind + multiple Enchantress effects to try to lock them out by bouncing all of their permanents (while returning cloud of faeries + cheap enchantments). I think this list might be slightly weaker to random aggressive decks, but it is probably significantly better versus the sneak attack variants of show and tell (due to having 4x seal of removal). The 1-of Living Wish seems a bit random.
Both of these decks are relatively weak to Counterbalance / Sensei's Divining Top decks, but those appear to be on the downswing.
I would probably lean slightly towards to the former decklist (G/W/r) and find room for 1 Enlightened Tutor and the last Elephant Grass.
2 Comments:
I'm not actually sure that these decks are weak to Counterbalance decks. I've played a bunch of CB versus Enchantress, and it's relied on a fair bit of luck and some sweet sideboard cards (Nevinyrral's Disk effects or Harmonic Convergence). Replenish is a beating, and traditionally they've had a number of ways to break up the lock (modern CB decks don't have a ton of 2 drops anymore either to hit some important cards). They're not even as soft to Jace as some of the durdly decks are.
I haven't seen a Harmonic Convergence in forever.
Replenish is pretty nuts assuming your oppt isn't the RIP/Helm variant.
Post a Comment
<< Home